World Stroke Day 2016
Stroke can happen to anyone at any age. World Stroke Day 2016 recognizes that although stroke is a complex medical issue, there are ways to significantly reduce its impact. We are calling everyone – individuals, families, communities, health professionals and governments – to join the fight against stroke. Let’s take action, drive awareness and push for better access to stroke treatments.
WSD16 Plan of activities per country
NEEMAN ASSOCIATION FOR STROKE SURVIVORS – WORLD STROKE DAY ACTIVITIES*:
1. Neeman Association for Stroke Survivors will be holding a conference for major decision makers in health and welfare in Israel, on November 17th. It is being organised together with the Ministry of Health, under the sponsorship of the Minister and the incoming new Director General of the Ministry. The overall topic addresses the issue of how to decrease the morbidity of stroke by 25% in the coming five years and to improve the rehabilitation system. The key speakers will be Professor Werner Hacke, President of WSO and Professor Michael Brainin, President Elect of WSO, together with major health functionaries from the local scene.
2. A media campaign (major national TV channels) for raising awareness of the early warning signs of stroke and the necessity of arriving without delay to emergency services by ambulance. The following film is being screened for the second consecutive year following its overwhelming success last year. Its effect was so strong that some viewers asked for it to be removed! It has been translated by the Catalonian Stroke Support organization. It refers to the signs of a drooping mouth, loss of speech and weakness in the arm and the necessity for calling an ambulance immediately and not offering a glass of water, helping to complete a sentence or picking up the groceries.
3. An additional media campaign will run on the major online news channel – YNET, – emphasizing the importance for survivors and their carers of rehabilitation and recognition of the challenges of coping with the aftermath of the stroke on their lives.
*Due to national religious festivities throughout October it was not possible to celebrate Stroke Day before November
We are running a campaign highlighting the impact that stress can have on the risk of stroke. We are calling it Give Stress a Rest. This has been in the planning stages since July and started at the beginning of October, so all the artwork etc was already done.
These are being used in digital ads and social media that then take people through to our website to take the stress test and get more information on how to cope with stress in a healthy way. The url of our stress test is www.nichs.org.uk/stresstest.
HELLENIC ALLIANCE/ACTION FOR STROKE (HAS) has prepared two events in Thessaloniki for the WORLD STROKE DAY 2016:
1. A street event at the famous Aristotelous square (brochures, banner, open dialogue with specialists)
2. An informative event at Electra Palace Hotel Thessaloniki in which the public can be informed about ways of prevention and dealing with stroke
You can find a quick reference about the events at the following link:
Here you can download the media release in Greek language, and here you can download the AEE Program for the World Stroke Day.
ASSOCIATION FOR A FIGHT AGAINST STROKE “STROKE”
We organize public activities with risk factor screening and individual neurological consultation in 6 Macedonian cities also we organized 2 scientific meetings , 5 lectures for public and one day visit in rural region of south-western Macedonia. We are planning to make risk factor screening for more than 500 reach in direct way (trough lectures, risk factor screening and rural visits) about 1000 people and disseminate more than 1000 educative materials.
Details of the events:
The first two scientific lectures we organize together with Macedonian neurological society and Society of nurses, as well as Neurology University Clinic.
– 28.10.2016, Skopje- Neurological scientific meeting – lecture on topic World Stroke Day-Stroke is treatable , lecture as a part of continuing medical evidence based education , with accreditation from Macedonian medical chamber. Target audience: medical professionals, especially neurologists.
– 29.10.2016, Skopje- Medical scientific meeting: Thrombolysis and protocol for thrombolysis target audience nurses and medical assistants.
– 28.10.2016, Skopje- Lecture: Early recognition of stroke signs and Stroke prevention open for public. Target group: pensioners and seniors.
– 29.10.2016, Skopje- Public activity with risk factor screening (glycaemia and arterial blood pressure) Individual consultations with doctors specialists from 10.00-12.00h on 2 location in Skopje .
– 25-27.10.2016, Skopje date not set at moment: Lecture about early stroke recognition, stroke symptoms, risk factors and stroke treatment in secondary school ,,Pance Arsovski,, in Skopje in cooperation with Red Cross Skopje.
– 29.10.2016, Ohrid- Public activity with risk factor screening (EKG, glycaemia and arterial blood pressure) and individual consultations with doctors specialists from 10.00-13.00h on Ohrid square.
– 28.10.2016., Ohrid Lecture: Early recognition of stroke signs and Stroke prevention open for public. Target group: pensioners and seniors (in cooperation with Red Cross Ohrid).
– 29.10.2016, Kocani – Lecture Early recognition of stroke signs and Stroke prevention 10.00-11.00 open for public; target group: pensioners and seniors.
– 29.10.2016, Kocani – public activity with risk factor screening (glycaemia and arterial blood pressure) with individual consultations with doctors specialists 12.00-14.00h.
– 29.10.2016, Tetovo- Public activity with risk factor screening (ECG, glycaemia and arterial blood pressure) and individual consultations with doctors specialists from 10.00-13.00h.
– 29.10.2016, Kicevo- Public activity with risk factor screening(EKG, glycaemia and arterial blood pressure) and individual consultations with doctors specialists from 10.00-13.00 in Kicevo square.
-28.10.2016 28.10.2016.,Bitola Lecture: Early recognition of stroke signs and Stroke prevention for the Association of women of city of Bitola.
01-07.11(date not set at moment) One day visit in rural region of south western Macedonia, risk factor screening, specialists consultation and checkups of patients in rural regions in cooperation with Red Cross Ohrid.
The Association AVC Portugal was invited to participate in several national events, one radio broadcast and one magazine conference.
The Stroke Association in Serbia plans to cover the WSD16 with lectures for scientific public and media appearances for the general public. It managed with the local government to have all the important monuments and public buildings in the capital city, Belgrade, lit up in purple for the 29th October, in order to raise awareness about stroke.
The WSD16 Media Release based on the template provided by SAFE will be sent to all media.
In addition, here you can download the World Stroke Organisation Campaign Resources Toolkit 2016